Thursday 21 May 2015

Racing Weight


First ultra-marathon in 2 days!  The weather for Saturday looks great, a high of 18 degrees and sunny.  Probably a little warm but I won’t be going that fast so shouldn’t be an issue.  It’s going to be cold for the 6am start (probably 5 degrees) so I’m planning to wear an extra layer and probably thin gloves for the first 20km lap.

Also, I hit my goal racing weight, which is a miracle.  I weighed in at 179.5 pounds, and my goal was to get under 180.  I didn’t employ the same maniacal diet and fasting regime as I did before the Ironman last year so am surprised that I was able to hit racing weight, but I’ll take it.
I have all my gear, nutrition and first aid picked out and ready to go.  It’s going to be a painful 3am wakeup on Saturday morning so I want everything to be simple so I can cruise on auto-pilot until the start of the race.

Despite what I previously said I may listen to music for laps 2 and 3.  I’m still not sure, but I remember the mind-numbing monotony of the marathon at the end of the Ironman and it may be nice to have music.  Christina and Paul are joining as pacers for lap 4 (km 60-80) so that will be fun.

I feel prepared, but I know that all hell could break loose on Saturday.  As this is my first ultra it is going to be a grand experiment to see if I can deal with the issues proactively – blisters, cramping, fatigue, bonking, dehydration, hyponatremia, mountain lions (in Ancaster?) and whatever else.

I’ll post a race report early next week, will be interesting to find out if I’m tapered and peaking, or have grossly underestimated the demands of a 80km trail ultra.

Ready to go!  Almost as much gear as an Ironman.
A nice day before the ultra, rest and compression!


3 comments:

  1. Such an exciting time and what courage to start this endeavour!! Congrats on getting this far! Good luck on Saturday. I'll be thinking positive thoughts around 3am on Saturday...I'll probably just be getting home from graduation around that time :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather! Details to come in the post race report. I just hope it's not a DNF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It won't be! How can C and P finish the last lap with you? Can they cross the finish line with you?

    ReplyDelete