Friday 3 November 2017

100 Miles of Why?



In 1 week I’m running 100 miles at Tunnel Hill.  I’ve previously ran two 100k trail races but this will be my first shot at the “hundo”.  Why do I want to run 100 miles?  I do not have an easy answer but the answer is important, or at least it will be after 20+ hours of nonstop trail running.

1.       I want to find out what I’m capable of.

I’ve ran 3 long ultras, done one full Ironman, completed a double crossing of the Grand Canyon and climbed 24,000 feet in a day on Grouse Mountain.  I want to find out what I am capable of mentally and physically. 


2.       I want to run the Western States 100 miler.

Someday I will run Western States and I want to be ready.  For the past 2 years I have been qualifying for the Western States lottery by running Black Canyon 100k.  I want to run 100 miles now so I know what to expect at the distance and to experience what it is like running all day and night. 


3.       I want to ski with my family all winter.

It’s already snowing in BC and I want to ski 6 days a week this winter:  twice downhill, twice skate skiing and twice alpine touring every week.  When I am training for an ultra that becomes my physical focus and skiing becomes secondary.  By finishing Tunnel Hill 100 miler next week I will be able to commit to a full winter of skiing.


4.       I want to teach my kids about perseverance and dedication.

Running is hard.  Lacing up for a 30k run the day after a 40k run takes dedication.  And not stopping when every muscle and joint hurts takes perseverance.  I want my kids to learn the intense satisfaction of hard-fought accomplishment.   


5.       Because we live in a beautiful world.   

Over the past 3 years I have ran across deserts and canyons, up and down mountains, through rainforests and valleys, and around lakes and parks.  I am grateful for every day that I have the health and the time to experience nature.  Tunnel Hill 100 miler is not a destination, it’s part of my journey through our wonderful world.



2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read your race report from this race. Such an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can’t wait for you to be there crewing for me!

      Delete