Tuesday 31 May 2022

Western States Training Camp

On December 4, 2021 my lottery ticket was picked to run the 2022 Western States Endurance Run.  After 5 years in the lottery, and with 16 tickets I had a 17% chance of being selected.  I was really excited and a little terrified about the next 6.5 months.  The original plan was to ski 120 days this winter, but that changed to focus on hundred-mile ultra training.  After three 100s I still have little idea how to properly train or race, so I immediately hired coach Kat Drew to get me to the start line in great shape, and to the finish line in under 30 hours.

On Memorial Day long weekend Bren and I went to California to run the final 70 miles of the course over 3 days.  I’ve read dozens of Western States blogs and watched countless videos on YouTube but running the course before race day will help with my confidence and course knowledge.


Day 1:
  50km from Robinson Flat to Foresthill

After a bus ride to Robinson Flat we started a gradual climb, followed by a long runnable downhill.  The goal is to bank time when possible but also save my legs for all the running on the final third of the course.  After Last Chance we dropped into Deadwood Canyon with a very steep, rocky and technical descent.  I took it easy as I didn’t want to fall or blow up my quads.  We crossed the bridge at the bottom of the canyon and started the steep 600m climb up Devil's Thumb.  On race day I’ll hike this conservatively, but today I wanted to see what I had in my legs, so I pushed this climb and got to the top in 32 minutes, passing 30+ people during the climb.  Lots of fun in training, but not a great idea for race day.



Then we dropped into El Dorado Canyon, a more gradual 8km descent to the bottom, followed by a longer but less steep climb up to Michigan Bluff.  Again, I wanted to see what I could do so I pushed the climb and got to the top in 44 minutes. 



Took my time at Michigan Bluff to eat and drink before heading into the final canyon.  After leaving Michigan Bluff we were surprised with a relatively long climb before dropping into the technical descent of Volcano Canyon.  This canyon is not as big as the other two, but good to know not to underestimate it on race day.  The climb out of Volcano Canyon eventually merges with the paved Bath Road for the final ascent into Foresthill. 



Day 2:  30km from Foresthill to Rucky Chucky

Today is the famous Cal Street section of Western States, the long descent from Foresthill to the American River.  As this is a long runnable downhill it’s important that I get to Foresthill (mile 62) on race day feeling good.  As expected, the trail starts descending immediately after leaving Foresthill, gradual at first then becoming more steep.  We enjoyed the 15 rollers after Cal 1 and the Elevator Shaft descent into Cal 2 aid station. 



Leaving Cal 2 I felt ready to open it up and blast my downhill legs, something fun to do in training and not on race day.  We flew down the switchbacks passing a dozen people along the way.  The trail then pulls parallel with the American River and rolls for another 8km to Rucky Chucky.  This is hot and exposed, but all very runnable trail. 



Upon finally reaching the American River we left the course for a hike up to Drivers Flat.  On race day we will cross the river at Rucky Chucky and continue up to Green Gate on the other side.


Day 3:  35km from Green Gate to Auburn

Save your legs for the final 20 miles, that’s the advice you hear all the time in preparing for Western States as this section of trail is very runnable.  Instead of blasting specific sections like the past two days I decided to run smart today around 6:45 min/km pace.  Unlike Jim Walmsley in 2016 we made the left turn from Quarry Fire Road to the single-track climb up to Highway 49, then continued the long climb up to spectacular Cool Meadow and into Pointed Rocks aid station. 



After leaving the aid station we ran the final 2.7-mile trail descent of the course and over the famous No Hands Bridge at mile 96.5.  Then it’s the final long 2.4-mile climb of Western States.  I’ll be back here on June 26th and may be pushing for a specific finish time so wanted to see if I could run the ascent to Robie Point.  I pushed hard, ran most of the climb, and passed a dozen people on the way up and into Auburn.  From mile 99 it’s a celebratory downhill run on road to the famous track at Placer High. 



Race day will be hotter, longer, and very different but it was a great experience to run 70 miles of the course.  I now understand the canyons, Cal Street, and how to run the final sections of Western States.  I’m still really excited but also a little terrified to return in 25 days, but after 7 years of dreaming about running this race I can’t wait to get started.


Bren created 3 great videos, one after each day of running:

Day 1 video



Day 2 video



Day 3 video




No comments:

Post a Comment